Dragon Adventures – 2-Day Cooktown Tour
Get off the beaten track and satisfy your taste for adventure while experiencing the beauty of the Australian flora and fauna.
This 4×4 Adventure to Cooktown offers a mixture of coastal tracks and beaches, inland mountain trails, waterfalls, river swimming holes in the Daintree Rainforest and camping in swags under the stars.
We stop at numerous spectacular sites on each tour where keen photographers can capture the abundant wonders of the natural wildlife and fauna and flora.
Our guides cross mountains and ford streams to ensure that you take home some great images from your adventure tour.
Encounters with the wildlife en route in the rivers and creeks includes salt water crocodiles, fresh water crocodiles, jungle perch, barramundi and turtles.
On the land expect a chance meeting with kangaroos, water buffalo, wild boar, walabies, monitor lizards, snakes, cassowaries, kookaburras and eagles.
Experience all of this while staying next to the historic Lion’s Den, one of Cape York’s iconic pubs that also offers excellent riverside camping with plenty of shade and natural surrounds.
You will depart Port Douglas at 7am, continuing onwards to the Daintree River Cable Ferry crossing which is the gateway to the World Heritage Listed Daintree Rainforest.
We then drive to Cape Kimberly beach for a stroll on pristine sands where you can soak up the views of the nearby Low Isles and Snapper Island, which form part of the Great Barrier Reef.
From here, we travel further north to Cape Tribulation National Park.
We stop here for light refreshments and take time to walk in the Daintree Rainforest and/or on the beach.
From this point onwards we are on the Bloomfield Track (off-road).
Here you will experience numerous creek crossings, steep inclines and rugged terrain that remind you that you’re really on the adventure of a lifetime.
On this section of the route we stop for a swim (optional) in one of the numerous creeks before making our way to Bloomfield Falls.
From here we head to the historic Lion’s Den Hotel, our camping destination.
Built in 1875, the Lion’s Den is a landmark structure made of timber and iron famous for its quirky decorations and walls adorned with visitor’s signatures.
The Lion’s Den Hotel is built on the banks of the Little Anna River, surrounded by 100 year-old mango trees and tropical landscapes.
You will have the time to swim in the creek and to enjoy light refreshments at the bar before settling down for an evening meal.
The following morning it’s up for a camp breakfast and off to Cooktown.
You have the opportunity to spend the morning visiting the James Cook Museum and to take a leisurely stroll around this historic town.
A short drive to Grassy Hill lookout for some amazing views over the Coral Sea is a sight you cannot afford to miss.
At midday we start our journey back to Port Douglas via the Tablelands route, depending on the season and road conditions.
The Tablelands route consists of a climb into the McDowell Range which is where the track becomes unrelentingly steep with many ascents and descents.
We will be stopping at numerous spectacular sites on the tour for once in a lifetime photo opportunities.
Need To Know
- Bookings required at least seven days prior to tour.
- Pick-up and drop-off from Port Douglas accommodation.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner provided.
- Ferry transfers and camping fees included.
- Drinking water available at all times.
- Tea/coffee provided.
- Sky dome swags (with high density foam mattress), sleeping bags and pillows provided.
- You will be travelling in convoy with two Toyota FJ Cruiser wagons (four persons per car), fully equipped with radios, satellite navigation, satellite phone, EPIRB (rescue beacon), self- recovery winch and equipment driven by very experienced drivers who are trained in 4×4 driving and recovery and first aid.
- Mobile phone service limited.
- Avoid white-coloured clothing as dust stains may occur.
- Luggage limited to small overnight bag.
- Do not bring alcohol on the tour as alcohol restrictions apply in some areas.
- Tour arrives back in Port Douglas approximately 5pm.
What To Bring
- Comfortable, closed footwear for hiking and walking
- Swimwear with towel
- Insect repellent and sunscreen
- Hat and sunglasses
- Cash for souvenirs
Your adventurous guides Wayne and Taff have driven 4×4 vehicles in Australia, Africa, Scandinavia, Europe and The Middle East.
Other wild credits include sailing across the Pacific, mountaineering, rock-climbing, camping, diving and fishing on most continents.
They are fully trained in advanced 4×4 skills, defensive driving, navigational techniques and have current first aid qualifications.
Terms & Conditions
- Cancellations for Cooktown tours 60 days of tour will incur a $100 administration fee.
- Cancellations for Cooktown tours within 50 days of tour will incur a 25 per cent cancellation fee.
- No refunds for cancellations within 45 days of Cooktown tour.
- Dragon Adventures and or any of its employees accepts no responsibility, or is liable for any act of omission whatsoever, including inside or outside their control for any booking, contract, travel, accommodation or tour which may result in any loss, damage, accident, detention, diversion or theft in regard to personal belongings and or luggage and will be exempt from liability in respect of indirect and direct or consequential loss or damage, death, injury, sickness, irregularity, delay and additional expenses or inconvenience or any other event beyond its control including accident or failure to machinery, equipment, accommodation, transport or any other services, any acts of God, dangers, and incidents to the sea or fire, any acts of government or other authorities, delays, strikes, cancellations or changes in the tour itinerary or schedules whatsoever, howsoever by whosoever caused.
- Dragon Adventure Cooktown tours or any of its agents or associates are not responsible or liable for loss or damage or theft of luggage, personal belongings whatsoever. We are also not responsible or liable for personal injury, accidents, hospitalization, illness or medical expenses.
- Dragon Adventures reserve the right to alter, and or cancel any section and or parts of the Cooktown itinerary which may result from bad road conditions or inclement weather conditions or any other condition which will put any of the tour party in any potential or eminent danger. Whilst we will endeavour to keep arrival and departure times given in the itinerary no guarantee will be made that these will be kept.
- Dragon Adventures will not be liable for any costs incurred through failure to connect with any other service, also any personal expenses incurred by the passenger as a result of any delay, alteration or curtailment of the tour or any or part of the tour caused by inclement weather conditions, bad road conditions, mechanical defects or any other causes.
- Dragon Adventures shall not in any circumstances be held liable or accept any responsibility for any of the following: any loss, acts, omissions, defaults, accidents, deception, delay, failure or expense on the part of the transport company (Airline).
- If or when any unforeseen circumstance or breakdown should occur Dragon Adventures has the right to change / substitute any of the vehicles to alternative transportation and or accommodation other than those listed in the itinerary at any time.
- The itineraries, excursions and any highlights set out in the tour will be adhered to as reasonably and safely as possible. Dragon Adventures may alter the itineraries and excursions as they deem fit.
- Any information contained here is correct to the best of Dragon Adventures knowledge and Dragon Adventures is not liable for any inaccuracies herein or any weather or road conditions that may influence the tour in any way. If for any reason Dragon Adventures change / alter or is different form the itinerary offered no refund is payable.
- Dragon Adventures reserves the right to, without payment or compensation before the start of the tour or after commencing the tour to exclude any persons that may appear or look likely to endanger the health and safety or impair the comfort of any of the passengers. Any persons on the tour who commits any illegal act will be asked to leave the tour immediately.