Port Douglas Tropical Trips – Atherton Tablelands
Explore savanna country, wetlands, wildlife and waterfalls on this adventure through the Tablelands.
Starting your journey to the Atherton Tablelands at 7.30am before your first stop is Mareeba Tropical Savanna and Wetland Reserve – Jabiru Safari Lodge.
Set on 2000ha of open savanna woodland, grassland and freshwater wetlands, it offers a chance to discover over 200 species of rare and beautiful birdlife.
Wildlife, includes kangaroos, wallabies, emus, quolls and frilled necked lizards. A half-hour Lagoon Eco-Cruise and morning tea is included.
Enjoy your tailored “Great Tropical Drive” in our very comfortable seven seat Mercedes Benz to “The Crater” and Dinner Falls at Mt Hypipamee National Park. Walk to “The Crater”, then follow the well constructed path to the Dinner Falls, whilst looking for often sighted cassowaries and tree kangaroos.
A few minutes up the road we visit the picturesque Millaa Millaa Falls an icon of the area and part of the Queensland Heritage Listed Waterfall circuit. The falls are 18.3 metres high with a pool suitable for swimming at their base.
Lunch and refreshments are provided, then we continue our journey on to the Australian Platypus Park, home to a thriving platypus population which can be found in a spring fed pond surrounded by lush tropical vegetation.
Onward to Lake Eacham, a famous crater lake with pristine blue water, surrounded by upland tropical rainforest and perfect for swimming.
Our tour wouldn’t be complete without a visit to the Curtain Fig National Park. Gaze in awe at this 500 year old 50m tall wonder, a strangler fig with a “curtain” vertical roots that once embraced its long-gone host tree.
Walk around the boardwalk to view the tree from different angles and capture some fabulous photographs of the root curtain.
One last stop for coffee and afternoon tea. Then its home sweet home from the Atherton Tablelands by approximately 5.30pm.
Need To Know
- Bookings need to be made at least 48 hours prior to tour.
- We pick you up from your Port Douglas accommodation around 7.30am.
- Morning and afternoon tea, lunch and refreshments provided.
- Towel, sunscreen and water provided.
- Binoculars and reference books provided.
- Umbrellas and raincoats provided.
- Insect repellant provided.
What To Bring
- Sense of Adventure
Your Tropical Far North Queensland experience should be enjoyable, informative and, most of all, memorable.
When choosing your trip, go with the people who give you personalised, local knowledge, and service that strives to offer that “little bit extra”.
We cater for individual needs offering unique personal touring in luxury vehicles.
Terms & Conditions
- Our Atherton Tablelands Tour is not recommended for children under 10 years of age.
- Whilst we will always endeavour to for fill all our commitments, please be aware there may be certain situations beyond our control and that we may have to alter or cancel your tour: e.g.: weather, tides, flooded waterways for swimming or road conditions. And we do realise things do happen and you may have to cancel, if 24 hours prior to travel no fee and 50% is refundable within 12 hours.