Reef Sprinter – Outer Reef
A true half-day reef experience without spending all day getting there.
Jump aboard for a Great Barrier Reef Snorkeling experience to remember, travelling seasick-free powered by 900-horsepower to the Outer Reef at a fun 80km/h in just 40 minutes.
Our fantastic site Third Sister Reef is located next to Opal Reef, the most spectacular part of the Outer Great Barrier Reef.
The 3.5 hour trip allows up to 90 minutes of snorkelling time to discover a new world of colourful corals, large fish and other diverse marine life.
The Outer Reef has an average 25-metre underwater visibility, the fish are bigger and often more colourful and there is more of them thriving on the protected coral in abundance.
There are only a maximum of 14 people on the tour making for a very personalised trip with our friendly crew and the minimum age is seven years old.
Need To Know
- Bookings need to be made by 4pm the day prior to your tour.
- Tours depart daily from the Reef Marina at:
- 8.30am – returning noon; and
- 1pm – returning 4.30pm;
- Check-in 30 minutes prior to tour departure.
- Only suited for people in good health.
- Price includes all snorkelling equipment and instructions on use, wet suits and stinger suits when required, Environmental Marine Charge & bottle of water.
- No glass bottom boat at this site.
- Seven years minimum age.
- Toilet onboard.
- All snorkelers are under trained lifeguard supervision.
- Personal snorkel instruction, flotation noodles and free prescription masks offered for your pleasure.
- You won’t get seasick as the speedboats avoid this motion.
- You can hire an underwater camera or Go-Pro so you don’t miss anything.
- Free drinks (BYO food if required).
- Not suitable for bad backs, necks or pregnant women.
- Only runs if wind forecast less than 15 knots. If forecast is over 15 knots then Low Isles is a better option for Great Barrier Reef Snorkeling due to protection from wind and waves.
What To Bring
- Camera, swimmers, towel.
Steve and Cathy Sherwell started in the tourism industry in 1986 with a jet ski hire, parasailing and tube riding business in northern Victoria.
In 1994, they moved to Port Douglas to start Extra Action Watersports offering the same experiences for more than a decade before launching Reef Sprinter in 2005 to provide quick trips to the reef.
After building a second boat in 2011 due to popular demand, Steve and Cathy purchased a permit for the spectacular Third Sister Reef to operate half-day Outer Reef tours in 2013 and built one of the fastest snorkelling boats in Australia which now runs two Outer Reef trips daily.
Terms & Conditions
- Strict 24-hour 100 per cent cancellation policy on Great Barrier Reef Snorkeling tours.
- On days of high winds, our boats are not suitable for bad backs, elderly, frail, young, pregnant.
- Tours subject to weather, tides and numbers permitting. Times subject to change.