Mossman Gorge Centre – Dreamtime Walk
From $75 adult
Experience Mossman Gorge from the perspective of the Kuku Yalanji who have been caring for it for thousands of years.
Mossman Gorge Tours with the Ngadiku Dreamtime Walks, conducted by the local Kuku Yalanji Indigenous people, take visitors on a journey along private, gentle tracks, visiting special places and culturally significant sites.
Ngadiku (Nar-di-gul) means stories and legends from a long time ago in local Kuku Yalanji language and the walks are like a step back in time.
You are welcomed with a traditional ‘smoking’ ceremony that cleanses and wards off bad spirits.
The walk then meanders through stunning rainforest and takes in traditional huts or humpies.
Your experienced interpretive Indigenous guides demonstrate traditional plant use, identify bush food sources and provide an enchanting narrative of the rainforest and their special relationship with this unique tropical environment.
They also share traditions like making bush soaps and ochre painting.
At the end of the tour enjoy traditional bush tea and damper.
Need To Know
- Bookings required by 4pm the day prior to tour.
- Tour duration approximately 1.5 hours.
- Mossman Gorge tours depart 10am, 11am, 12pm, 1pm and 3pm daily for self-drive visitors.
- 8.30am pick-up & 12.45pm return for half-day Mossman Gorge tours.
- Groups limited to 15 guests.
- Easy walk, not wheelchair accessible.
What To Bring
- Insect repellent
- Light weight cotton clothing
- A comfortable pair of walking shoes
The Mossman Gorge Centre started as a dream for one man who saw a future for his community in sharing their stories of culture and connection to the land.
After 20 years and much hard work by many people including the Murday family who owned the land the Mossman Gorge Centre is built on, that Kuku Yalanji man Roy Gibson was able to witness the realisation of his dream and remains a part of its success.
Dozens of Kuku Yalanji people now work at the Mossman Gorge Centre which also serves as a training centre for indigenous students from remote communities.
Terms & Conditions
- All Touring & Transfer times are indicative & are subject to change due to Indigenous Cultural & Weather issues.
- Bookings subject to availability.
- If cancellation occurs within 24 hours of tour date, a cancellation fee of full negotiated rate per confirmed tour will apply. More than 24 hours prior to arrival no cancellation fee will apply.